6.8.12

Fruit Brains


It's fig season, and that means that the fig tree in my backyard is giving me the most beautiful fruits.
Yesterday was actually the first time I've ever had a fig.
They're kind of weird. They feel a little like alien brain pods. Which is grotesque, but they're still sweet and lovely.

Now that I've tried them, while they're in season, I'm trying to incorporate figs into every meal I can!


I don't follow recipes when I cook but to recreate the dinner I made above, you will need:
4 or 5 decent sized Figs
4 diagonal slices of French Bread
2 oz Pecorino Cheese
1 1/2 c. Arugula
5 or 6 Basil leaves
2 tbsp (approx.) Mint Arugula Pesto (see recipe below)
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Champagne Vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mint Pesto:
1/2 c Arugula
1/3 c Mint
4 tbsp Parmesan Cheese
2 tsp Olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

*please keep in mind all quantities can be altered to better suit your tastes and needs

Directions

-Start by mixing all the pesto ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until you reach your personally desired consistency. I personally like to keep it a little chunky
-Lay out the argugula, 1 oz of the pecorino, and 2 figs cut vertically in eighths.
-Toast the French bread slices
-While the bread is toasting make dressing for the salad. With a fork, quickly beat together the olive oil, champagne vinegar, and salt and pepper.
-Once the bread is toasted, lay out the remaining 1 oz of cheese (which should be thin slices) on the bread, then top with the remaining 2-3 figs that have been sliced into discs. Generously dollop the mint pesto on top of the figs.
-Dress the salad with the champagne vinaigrette....

Then,

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!